Since 1990 the Museo Diocesano ‘San Matteo’ di Salerno has been housed in the building that was once home to the Archiepiscopal Seminary,founded in 1563. The original nucleus of the collection comprised works of art belonging to the Cathedral and, in particular, pieces donated to the Church by Marquis Ruggi D’Aragona and by the Archbishop Sanchez de Luna. The examples of medieval art are of particular significance. Exhibits of the utmost rarity include the series of ivory tablets dating back to the eleventh to twelfth century depicting scenes from the Old and New Testament, and the 11 illuminated leaves illustrating the text of the ‘Exsultet’. The museum’s collection testifies to the development of figurative culture from the eastern-Byzantine tradition to the baroque.