The Acquario della Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn will be closed from 1st August 2015 for maintenance The only nineteenth-century aquarium still in operation, the Naples Aquarium was one of the first in Europe and was opened to the public on 12 January 1874, on the initiative of Anton Dohrn. Since then the Aquarium has always embraced the same theme: the Mediterranean. The 23 display tanks, which are mainly lit from above by natural light, are home to both rare and common creatures found in the Bay of Naples, still today considered to be one of the most biodiverse areas in the Mediterranean. The sole form of decoration comes from natural substrates and rocks covered with incrustations of living organisms. After allowing for space constraints, as well as the difficulties some creatures face in adapting, all the main zoological groups are on view. The Aquarium prides itself on certain ‘delicate’ invertebrates, including squid and many species of fish that are now becoming ever more rare. The water in the tanks comes from the Bay of Naples. A major turtle conservation programme underway has led to the creation of a special Centre for the care and rehabilitation of these creatures.